On Friday evening, November 17, 1911, three Howard University undergraduate students, with the assistance of their faculty adviser, gave birth to the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. This event occurred in the office of biology Professor Ernest E. Just, the faculty adviser, in the Science Hall (now known as Thirkield Hall). The three liberal arts students were Edgar A. Love, Oscar J. Cooper and Frank Coleman.
From the initials of the Greek phrase meaning "friendship is essential
to the soul," the name Omega Psi Phi was derived. The phrase was
selected as the motto. Manhood, scholarship, perseverance and uplift
were adopted as cardinal principles. A decision was made regarding the
design for the pin and emblem, and thus ended the first meeting of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity .
The next meeting was conducted on
November 23, 1911. Edgar Love became the first Grand Basileus (National
President). Cooper and Coleman were selected Grandkeeper of the
Records (National Secretary) and Grandkeeper of Seals (National
Treasurer), respectively. Eleven Howard University undergraduate men
were selected as charter members.
Alpha Chapter was organized with fourteen charter members on December 15, 1911. Love, Cooper and Coleman
were elected the chapter's first Basileus, Keeper of Records, and
Keeper of Seals, respectively. On March 8, 1912, the previously
submitted fraternity constitution was rejected by the Howard University
Faculty Council. The Faculty Council proposed to accept the fraternity
as a local but not a national organization. The fraternity refused acceptance as a strictly local organization.
Oscar Cooper became the fraternity's second Grand Basileus in 1912. Cooper authorized the investigation of a proposed second chapter at Lincoln University, Pennsylvania. Edgar Love was elected as the third Grand Basileus in 1912 and served until 1915. In 1914, Howard University withdrew its opposition, and the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia on October 28, 1914. Beta Chapter at Lincoln University
was chartered in February, 1914. George E. Hall, the fourth Grand
Basileus, had been initiated at Alpha Chapter in 1914. Grand Basileus
Hall authorized the establishment of Gamma Chapter in
Boston, Massachusetts. However, the chapter was eventually established
during the administration of the fifth Grand Basileus, James C.
McMorries. During the administration of the sixth Grand Basileus,
Clarence F. Holmes, the fraternity's first official hymn, "Omega Men
Draw Nigh", was written by Otto Bohannon. Raymond G. Robinson, the
seventh Grand Basileus, established Delta Chapter in
Nashville, Tennessee in 1919. Robinson left office in 1920 with a total
of ten chapters in operation. Stanley Douglas served as Editor of the
first Oracle published in the spring of 1919. Harold K. Thomas,
the eighth Grand Basileus, was elected at the 1920 Nashville Grand
Conclave. It was at this Conclave that Carter G. Woodson inspired the
establishment of National Achievement Week to promote the study of
Negro life and history. The 1921 Atlanta Grand Conclave brought to an
end the first decade of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.